My Motivation

My Motivation
The Joy of My Life

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Reflection 8

They way my parents socialized me to understand my social class is very different from how the media has portrayed it to be. For example, media has taught women to be more physically attractive then to have the knowledge and the skills to become independent. Meaning if you don’t have the coca-cola shape or cut in all the right places you were not the catch of the day. Media has defined people and society into making one believe they can live in a “perfect” world, but in all reality when we look closely at society and places around us we see the day by day struggles. My parents have taught me in order to be strong and significant, I must identify who I am and know my own self-worth which is a value that is not based on my outer appearance. Media has put such a high impact on outer appearance and the only way to happiness is by material possessions. I have been taught that life doesn’t come easy; one must work at all levels to achieve a certain level of success. Good looks don’t pay the bills or mortgage! You know, I look back on some of the things my parents have taught me and the main value they have instilled in me is being independent. When it comes to gender and sexism is such a broad category and can refer to many things such as stereotyping, racism, and discrimination. When we see a Police Officer or Firefighter one conclude it’s a man and women are not as equally qualified in such a career field. Just as if we were to call on repair service or a Plummer we automatically stereotype it’s a male. I also thought how we use the word he when describing people in a whole. Gender and sexism has been into play from many years ago and in most parts of the world still take place. Some men look at women as being uneven or not the same when it comes to certain things in life. In modern day, sexism is also something women can display as well when it comes to domestic violence and even in certain careers as doing hair or nails. If we see a man doing hair, we conclude he is gay which is stereotyping a person based on a job. We all in some sort judge or put people in certain categories based on looks and career choices. In closing, as far as sexual relationships I personally have not much to say pertaining to this area because I feel when two people are together there are needs and desires they have which sex is one. Sex is a natural need that both men and women have no matter how saved or holy you deem yourself to be. Personally, it’s not a bad thing, but when a person abuse it , that’s when it’s something more to than a feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment