My Motivation

My Motivation
The Joy of My Life

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reflection 14

Reading the article about understanding prejudice is important in knowing how prejudice can be developed known and unknown. As humans, we don’t focus on ourselves and ways we display discrimination towards another culture or race. I’m not saying that it’s done intentionally in most cases, but we could be doing it unaware by our actions and/or words. You know, I think to myself because one day on my way to class it was a group of students in the elevator. The elevator apparently had some minor dysfunctions and all of a sudden one of the African American student blurred out with such a racist comment that offended some of the other students that were in the elevator. I was not only embarrassed for the other students, but for the lack of knowledge the student had displayed on cultural awareness and prejudice. In my opinion being prejudice is thinking that you or your culture is superior over another. I have actually heard people from other cultures refer to their people as being better than others. In all reality we are all human beings and the only difference is how we view things and live our daily lives. I believe that prejudice is something that is seen and taught either by our parents or someone who has a major influence on our lives. Most of the people that show discrimination usually have experienced some sort of childhood hurt, neglect, or anger. When injustice or unfairness is being played out it shows a lack of respect from one person to another especially if it’s done intentionally. Intentional prejudice is when someone purposefully in their hearts and mind do things to offend and hate another person. Honestly, I believe that intentional bias is just an outward behavior of some sort of pain that was never dealt with from within. For example, if I dislike people who does not speak fluent English, I can easily post judgment on them and assume certain problems of comprehension and ignorance. Prejudice is just another way that one can conclude is narrow-minded and plain out immoral. We all have been post judgmental in some sort of way and I should believe it was unintentional. We all must live and learn on a daily basis to expect people for who they are and learn how to deal with their way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment